Create a new page, and show/hide sidebars on pages
Pages are an easy way to feature static content, such as a information about you, your site, FAQs, or even integrate affiliate widgets. You can also use them to create lists of links, such as for a Press page, or a list of your favorite blogs.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: In WordPress, a Page is not the same as a Category. We find it's common for new WordPress users to refer to the word "Page" when they actually mean a "category" or "archive."
- If you want to add a link to a menu that will return all posts from a particular vertical—say, fashion, or beauty—you must create categories and add those to your menu. Adding a page will simply link to a static information page. For help on creating categories, click here. For help more info on posts vs. pages, click here.
TO ADD A NEW PAGE TO YOUR BLOG:
1. In your WordPress dashboard, hover over the Pages tab.
2. Click on Add New.
3. Add a page title in the top field, and enter your content in the page editor.
4. Click Publish. That’s it! Your page is now live on your blog. Be sure to add it to the menu you wish to feature it in so that it will appear on your site. You can do this in your theme Customizer by going to Appearance > Customizer, or by going to Appearance > Menus.
Here is a short video showing you the above steps:
TO SHOW/HIDE A SIDEBAR ON A PAGE
Almost all EmPress themes offer the ability to show or hide a sidebar on a static Page. If you choose to hide the sidebar, the content on your page will center and span the full width of the content column, like this:
If you show the sidebar, the content would format similar to this:
How to change the layout of a page to show or hide the sidebar
1. Navigate to the page you wish to edit by going to the Pages > All Pages tab of your WordPress dashboard.
2. In both the WordPress Block and Classic Editor, on the right side of the page editor, look for the Page Attributes box or dropdown. Then, select your preferred page template.
- Default Template means the page will display a sidebar
- Full-Width means the page will hide the sidebar
Here is a video of this in action:
If you are using the WordPress Block Editor, the page attributes dropdown looks like this:
3. Update/save your changes. Your page layout is now updated!
Creating a two-column layout on a page
Most themes also offer the ability to create a side by side, or two-column layout on pages, with an image on the left and content on the right. If you choose to use this feature, it will not format with a sidebar, due to space limitations. Here is an example of what it looks like:
To create this layout, simply use the Default Template, but add a featured image to the page. Instructions for adding featured images can be found here. NOTE: this Help Desk article discusses featured images on posts, but the process is the same for pages, too.
With your featured image applied, your page will now format with featured image on the left, and content on the right.