Social Media Icons in Menus
All EmPress themes offer a social media icon menu, with "smart recognition" of the most popular platforms. In the designated area of your theme Customizer, simply add the URL for each of your social profiles, and the theme will automatically output the corresponding social media icon.
WHERE TO ADD/EDIT SOCIAL MEDIA ICONS
Rania, Presidio, Miramar, Brevier, Archer users:
- Social icons can be added and edited by going to Appearance > Customize > Additional Menu Options.
- Note that this tab may house other menu settings depending on your theme, but will include a place for social media links if you are a Rania, Presidio, Miramar, Brevier, or Archer user.
- Once on the Additional Menu Options tab, look for a series of fields prompting you to input URLs to your various social platforms. The theme will automatically insert the corresponding icons based on the URL you input. The fields will look similar to this:
Pearl and Hayes users:
- Navigate to Appearance > Customize > Header Options > Social Media.
- In the tab that loads, first opt to enable social media by turning the button to the ON position.
- Next, choose your location: you can opt to place the icons in the top right menu, or after your primary menu (the menu that is either underneath the logo, or inline with it. Click here to learn how to set up your header)
- Finally, paste in URLs to your desired social media platforms. You can use the up and down arrow buttons to change the order, or click on the X to delete a platform/URL.
- Here is what this process looks like in action:
SUPPORTED SOCIAL MEDIA ICONS
These icons will be recognized across all themes:
- BlogLovin’ (displays a heart icon).
- Shopping bag and envelope icons (see next section, below)
Additionally, in Pearl and Hayes, the following icons are also included:
- Contact (paper airplane icon)
SHOP, SUBSCRIBE, AND EMAIL CONTACT ICONS
Many users may wish to insert icons for their Shop or Subscribe pages. Similarly, the fields will recognize certain words as part of a URL.
- For a shopping bag icon: pasting /shop behind any URL will add a shopping bag icon. For example, if you have a page on your blog called yourblogname.com/shop, simply paste this URL into the field, and the icon will appear.
- For an envelope icon: pasting /subscribe behind any URL will add an envelope icon. So, if you have a page on your blog called yourblogname.com/subscribe, simply paste this URL into the field, and the icon will appear.
- To add your email: You can also add the envelope icon by pasting in mailto:youremailaddresshere into a field. This will also be recognized, and correspondingly generate an envelope icon.
You will need to have these pages created, so that you can direct readers to the appropriate place. You can create a new page for a Shop or Subscribe page by going to Pages > Add New. Be sure that the Permalink for the page reflects the URL structures listed above.