All Themes: How do I add caption overlays to my images?
Our themes include styling for an image caption overlay box. This allows you to write copy and embed links directly over images in your posts, which can help highlight particular features of the photo. Here’s a link to a post where you can see an example of this in action, and here is a screenshot that illustrates the look of a caption overlay:
The benefit of using the captions feature is you can highlight affiliate links directly over specific photographs, or add additional details about an image (such as a link to a hotel, restaurant, or other service you’re highlighting!).
- How to insert a caption over an image: Classic Editor
- How to insert a caption over an image: Block Editor
- Remove caption overlay feature, and display captions beneath
HOW TO INSERT A CAPTION OVER AN IMAGE: CLASSIC EDITOR
1. To write a caption overlay, you’ll begin by uploading an image as you normally would to your post in Classic Editor.
2. With the image in your Media Library, select it, then write the text for your caption in the Caption box on the right. When you finish typing in your caption text (without links!), click Insert into Post. Don’t worry about adding links quite yet! Here is a video showing you how to complete steps 1 and 2:
3. With the image and caption now inserted into your post, you can highlight specific pieces of text to add links.
4. When you preview your post, you will see the caption box styled, and with the “jacket” link we just added in place!
HOW TO INSERT A CAPTION OVER AN IMAGE: BLOCK EDITOR
1. To write a caption overlay, you’ll begin by uploading an image as you normally would to your post in Block Editor. Add an image block, then upload or select the desired image from your Media Library.
2. Once the image is embedded into your post, click on the image. An option to write a caption will appear beneath the image in the post editor:
3. Begin typing your text into the caption editor. You can highlight pieces of text, and add links as you wish:
4. When you preview your post, you will see the caption box styled and overlaid on the image, and with the “romper” link we just added in place!